Youkilis, Dice-K, and Godzilla Take Over Durham
It’s hard to imagine another minor league game played across the country tonight that features as impressive Major League resumes as we’ll see this evening in Durham.
A sellout crowd is expected at Durham Bulls Athletic Park to watch Kevin Youkils, Daisuke Matsuzaka, and Hideki Matsui. The trio has combined to play in 2,237 big league games over a span of 23 seasons. Together, Youk and Godzilla have 304 home runs and 1,312 runs batted in.
The three have totaled five Major League All-Star selections, four World Series championships, one World Series MVP, and even a Gold Glove.
This won’t be your typical Game 42 of the season.
- Jose Iglesias finished last night 2-for-5 and is now hitting a season’s best .267. Known for his glove and not his bat, Iglesias has recorded at least two hits in nine of his last 13 games where he’s hitting .420 (21-for-50).
- The PawSox longest hitting streak of the season has been snapped. Pedro Ciriaco finished 0-for-5 last night and saw his club-best streak end at 12 games.
- The Pawtucket bullpen has not allowed a run in four games (a stretch of 14 2/3 innings dating back five games). The last time it surrendered a run was a leadoff homer in the top of the seventh inning on May 12 at McCoy against Columbus.
- Speaking of the bullpen, Mark Melancon nailed down his fifth save in as many tries last night. The righty is yet to allow a run in 13 innings and now has 21 strikeouts to zero walks.
- PawSox batters have drawn 20 walks over the first two games in Durham. While Pawtucket is tied for taking the third-most walks in the International League, Durham is second in the league in offering “ball four.” Unrelated, the PawSox lead the circuit with 42 home runs in 41 games.
Should be a fun one tonight in Game 3 versus the Bulls. Dice-K (0-0, 4.50) makes his third rehab start with the PawSox and is opposed by righty Jim Paduch (1-1, 3.71). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 with our pre-game coverage beginning at 6:50.
Talk with you then.