Ryan Lavarnway Mashing in June
On June 6, here’s what PawSox catcher Ryan Lavarnway told me during a pre-game interview:
“I finally remembered my mindset from last year. I’m feeling comfortable and have the right aggression level [at the plate] right now.”
Obviously those were more than just words, as Lavarnway has been on fire so far this month and his numbers prove the point:
- Since June 1, Lavarnway is batting .360 (17-for-46) and is the 6th leading batter in the International League.
- Of his 18 hits this month, over half have been for extra-bases (6 doubles, 4 homers).
- His 10 extra-base hits in 12 games are tied for the 3rd-most in the league, but he has the highest ratio of extra-base hits/game played.
- His .720 SLG is the 2nd-highest among active players (Ryan Kalish is at .757).
- Lavarnway has more home runs in 12 games this month (four) than he had in 41 games during April and May combined (three).
- Furthermore, with already 14 runs batted in this month, he’s likely to surpass his combined total from the first two months of the season (17).
A quick look back to previous years shows that this isn’t the first time the PawSox catcher has heated up in June:
- Lavarnway split June of 2011 between Double-A Portland (nine games) and Pawtucket (15 games).
- He combined to hit .347 (33-for-95) while belting seven doubles, seven homers, and driving in 23 runs.
- With High-A Salem in June of 2010, Lavarnway hit .337 (32-for-95) in 25 games with nine doubles, 3 homers, and 20 RBI.
What’s the major difference between June 2010, June 2011, and June 2012? This is the first June of his career where Lavarnway is mashing and catching everyday.