Results tagged ‘ BobbyLowe ’
What Josh Hamilton did last night in Baltimore is almost unreal. Hamilton became the 16th player in MLB history to homer four times in a single game – the first since Carlos Delgado did it with Toronto on September 25, 2003.
Although a Boston Red Sox batter has never accomplished the feat, someone else from The Hub actually has. In fact, he was the first to ever accomplish the feat. On May 30, 1894, Bobby Lowe of the Boston Beaneaters homered four times against Cincinnati.
I wish I could make this stuff up.
The Pawtucket Red Sox have been playing baseball since 1973 and have never had a player hit four home runs in a single game. The last time a PawSox batter homered three times in a game was when Mike Lowell did it on rehab assignment on July 27, 2010 in Toledo.
- Infielder Pedro Ciriaco is batting .579 (11-for-19) vs. LHP and .467 (7-for-15) with RISP. He’s currently riding an 8-game hitting streak – tied for the club’s longest this season (Josh Kroeger, April 18 -27).
- Tuesday night, Ryan Lavarnway suddenly started wearing his red socks pulled up to his knees. The result: he went 3-for-3 with a walk and a run scored. He fashioned the same look last night with a different outcome: 0-for-4 with two strikeouts. As a result, the most intriguing storyline going into tonight’s game is what will Ryan do with his socks?
- Behind 5.0+ innings pitched from Ross Ohlendorf last night, the PawSox offense managed just one run for the fourth time this season. The last time it happened was on April 27 at Columbus in 4-1 loss. Pawtucket’s starting pitcher that night? Ross Ohlendorf.
- The always steady Mauro Gomez is currently in his longest offensive drought of the season. He’s 2-for-21 (.095) over his last five games with one home run and two runs batted in. Gomez has been an offensive force this year and is currently the International League’s active leader in homer runs (10). Of his 35 hits this year, 19 have been for extra-bases (54%).
- This may surprise you, but among active PawSox players, Jose Iglesias is tied for third on the club with 25 hits. Only Gomez (35) and Daniel Nava (27) rank ahead of him. He’s tied with Josh Kroeger.
If the skies clear tonight, the PawSox will play Game 3 against Rochester from McCoy. Right-hander Justin Germano (3-1, 2.16) starts for Pawtucket and will be opposed by righty Cole DeVries (0-2, 2.89). First pitch is set for 6:15, we hit the air at 6:00.
Talk with you then.