Results tagged ‘ Kirk Gibson ’
At around 6:00 Tuesday night while prepping for the broadcast in Rochester, my phone rang with the caller ID displaying “Arnie Beyeler.” Although I’m sure Arnie would’ve loved to chat about his day with me, when I get a call from the PawSox manager an hour before first pitch it can only mean one thing: roster moves.
First the not-so obvious:
- First baseman Reynaldo Rodriguez has been called-up from Double-A Portland. The 26-year-old Columbian set a Sea Dogs’ franchise record for the most homers in a single month when he went deep ten times in May. At the time of his promotion, the former Yankees’ farmhand was tied for second in the Eastern League in doubles (27), tied for fourth in home runs (16), and tied for ninth in total bases (165).
- Second baseman Tony Thomas has been activated from the disabled list after suffering a finger injury during batting practice. In 47 games with the PawSox, the former Florida State Seminole is hitting .240 with seven home runs and 21 runs batted in. Thomas has not played since June 26.
- Right-handed reliever Will Inman was been activated from the disabled list (right forearm strain). In his first season in the Red Sox system, Inman has gone 5-for-5 in save situations and has allowed just 6-of-24 inherited runners to score. Inman has not pitched since July 17.
- Catcher Carson Blair has been called-up from High-A Salem for the second time (although he’s yet to play in a game with the PawSox). In 36 games with Salem, Blair is batting .210 with one home run and 12 runs batted in.
- Hard-throwing righty Chris Carpenter has ended his Major League rehab assignment and has been optioned to Pawtucket. Part of the Theo Epstein compensation prior to Spring Training, Carpenter had surgery before the season began to clean up a bone spur around his elbow. On Tuesday night, Carpenter hit 99 mph twice while picking up his second save.
- Outfielder Alex Hassan has been placed on the disabled list (retroactive to July 28) after suffering a laceration when fouling a pitch off his left shin. The injury required five stitches and forced Hassan to leave the game.
Now the obvious:
- Lars Anderson was traded late Tuesday afternoon to Cleveland for 27-year-old knuckleballer, Steven Wright. Hear Lars’ reaction to the trade by clicking here.
- Scott Podsednik was traded with Red Sox reliever Matt Albers to Arizona for Diamondbacks’ lefty, Craig Breslow. The Yale product, and New Haven, Ct. native, pitched for the PawSox in 2006 and ’07, and with Boston in ’06.
- Ryan Kalish and Clayton Mortensen have both been recalled by Boston. Kalish fills the void of Ryan Sweeney who is reportedly out two months after punching a door. Meanwhile, Mortensen pitched on a rain-shortened Tuesday night in the Red Sox six-inning win over Detroit and picked up his first win in a Boston uniform.
Get all that?
After a 5:00 arrival this morning in Allentown, Pa. where tonight the PawSox start a quick two-game series against the IronPigs, I’m off to a late lunch before going to the ballpark. I’ll talk to you tonight at 6:50.