Results tagged ‘ Peter Abraham ’
It wasn’t as good as Al Michaels and NBC’s Sunday Night Football, but I did enjoy watching the Oscars last night. From a behind-the-scenes standpoint, I was most amazed when, during the “pre-game show,” Robin Roberts talked about how the producers of the Oscars spent the past four and a half months preparing for the show. Speaking of which, remember Robin from her days on SportsCenter? Maybe it’s because I grew up watching her on ESPN, but I’ve always thought she does a great job.
Now that I’ve gotten over Horrible Bosses not winning Best Picture, it’s time to get my focus back on baseball, the Red Sox, PawSox, and Spring Training. Here’s what’s going on today that I think you might find interesting:
- Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com reports that Josh Beckett will start the inaugural Grapefruit League game at the new JetBlue Park this Sunday against the Minnesota Twins.
- Curious what third base will look like for the Red Sox next year? Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald wrote a nice article this morning about the relationship PawSox third baseman Will Middlebrooks has formed with Kevin Youkilis.
Said Youkalis, “’I think you owe it to the guy that’s below you at the minor league level to teach him how to play the game because that’s going to be the guy who’s going to succeed you when you’re done … He’s an outgoing kid, and I won’t shy away … You want him to take over and make history here. You’ve got to work with him and teach him the game.’”
- Peter Abraham wrote a great article this morning that touched on pretty much every topic of Spring Training. Out of all he wrote, PawSox fans might find this most interesting:
“Ryan Lavarnway may not make the Opening Day roster. But he is on the verge of doing some special things. He carries himself like a player who knows where he’s going.”
The funniest line from his article: “The players get a snack break during workouts and are served mini granola bars and apple sauce. It’s like watching a bunch of oversized day campers.”
- FanGraphs.com is releasing their MLB television broadcaster rankings. Over the next three days, FanGraphs will publish the rankings in groups of 10, starting with No. 30. The results are taken from fans voting on a scale of 1-5 for charisma, analysis, and then overall performance. Should be interesting.
- Someone impersonated Red Sox shortstop Mike Aviles on Twitter, claiming he was traded. #identitytheft
- Gotta see more pics from Red Sox Spring Training? Here are some good ones.
- Love funny, terrible pics from Spring Training? Here’s a great site dedicated to just that.
- Thank you to my latest subscriber, msloops. You, too, can subscribe by by typing in your email address in the top-right hand corner of this page and clicking “subscribe.” It’s less complicated than it sounds.
I’ll leave you with a picture taken earlier this afternoon from my lunch-time talk with the Providence Rotary Club. Not only did they have a sizable group of around 60 members, but I was served one of the best lunches I’ve every had at a Rotary meeting: some perfectly cooked cod with vegetables.