Results tagged ‘ Tom Brunansky ’
In 1990, he was traded by the St. Louis Cardinals to the Red Sox for closer Lee Smith. Although he played just fourseasons for Boston, Tom Burnansky will always be remembered for his sliding catch in the right field corner to end the final regular season game of 1990. That tremendous play robbed Ozzie Guillen of a hit and propelled the Red Sox to the ALCS.
Burnansky, now in his first year as the Rochester Red Wings hitting coach, will be honored tonight at Fenway Park as part of the Red Sox celebration of Fenway’s 100th year. The Red Sox have designated May as “Memorable Moments Month” and will have a special pre-game ceremony featuring Burnansky before tonight’s 7:10 first pitch against Cleveland.
- Jose Iglesias now has two hits in six of his last seven games and ranks 3rd among active PawSox hitters with 27 hits over 28 starts. The Pawtucket shortstop has two more hits than Ryan Lavarnway, three fewer than Daniel Nava. 24 of his hits have been singles.
- Entering yesterday, just four of Che-Hsuan Lin’s 20 hits had come at McCoy Stadium over his first nine home games. Last night he collected half that amount, going 2-for-4.
- Mark Melancon has now tossed 9.2 scoreless innings with 0-BB and 17-K. He converted his second save in as many tries last night despite allowing two hits with two outs.
- The PawSox have clubbed 13 hits three times in the last five games. Last night was the first time in that stretch they’ve done so without hitting a home run.
- Seven of the PawSox nine batters registered a hit last night against Rochester. Iglesias, Lars Anderson, and Lin all had two hits, Nava had three.
- Speaking of Nava, the PawSox outfielder has raised his average from .188 to .316 over the last two weeks. Almost equally impressive, Daniel is pounding the ball at home, batting .486 (18-for-37).
- Lars Anderson now has 5 doubles in his last 5 games. 10 of his 22 hits this year have been doubles.
The PawSox have a chance to win their second-straight series with a win this afternoon against Rochester. Pawtucket right-hander Brandon Duckworth (4-0, 3.34) will be opposed by lefty Luke French (0-0, 5.40). First pitch from McCoy crosses home plate at 12:05 this afternoon. We’ll hit the air at 11:50 with the pre-game show.
Talk with you then.